MasculinEndings

Monday, July 17, 2006

At a Poetry Reading


I heard him that afternoon for the first time
and I wondered how his wit could suborn
his thoughts amidst a freeplay of exteriors
that had no obvious roots of any kind.

I listened to his dispersed, often decentred, text
hoping I cold subpoena a sudden rupture but all
I really did was to daydream myself

into his work: I imagined myself at court
as the sententious, expert witness of sorts
and he the young prosecuting attorney
(whom everybody wants to ruin),

and then I the closed paradigm
and he the affable talkshow host
(already showing signs of polite frustration).


_______________________________
These lines were conceived after a poetry reading in KL some years ago. I’m not telling who the young poet was but let’s say I partied with him many years before that in a gay club somewhere or other.

1 Comments:

  • Greets to the webmaster of this wonderful site! Keep up the good work. Thanks.
    »

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 19 July, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home